This is the parent project for all EPICS related documentation on read-the-docs.
A good part of the EPICS documentation is dynamically created and hosted by read-the-docs, which acts as a CI system, building and hosting documentation from source or dedicated documentation repositories.
Read-the-docs offers valuable features that we use:
- Keeps complete frozen documentation trees of all released versions under a permalink with the release number.
- Keeps the documentation of the development tree (usually ‘master’) up-to-date and accessible using ‘latest’ as release number.
- Switching versions is available through the web browser.
This parent project page is not directly linked from the EPICS web site. It creates the link to the canonical URL https://docs.epics-controls.org - links from the EPICS web site to the documentation should point to the subprojects using the canonical URL, e.g., ‘https://docs.epics-controls.org/projects/<project-slug>’
There are two kinds of subprojects:
- Code repositories: The documentation is created from comments in the source code (Javadoc or Doxygen) and separate documents (PDF, Markdown, restructuredText). Documentation trees of released versions are kept for reference.
- Documentation repositories: The repositories contain only documentation (like FAQs and How-To-Pages). Usually only one version exists (‘latest’).